The popup bird

Calling All Gobblers

The popup bird

Postby Gus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:36 pm

The gobblers around my parts where still acting henned up, so I set up a few of my game cameras around on my place to see if I could get any pattern from them. One of the cameras the turkeys where coming by it on a regular basis, in the mornings leaving a roost and going back in the afternoons, so I set up a popup blind in hopes of catching one of the gobblers. The last couple of weekends I sat in the blind and would call about every 15 minutes or so and never could get the gobblers to come my way and all I seen was hens walking right by within shotgun range.

Saturday afternoon my luck changed and during one of my attempts at calling, all of a sudden I heard a gobble and it was close and to the right of me. I had the windows on the right side closed because from the game camera they had been coming from the left during the afternoons, but I did have a little spot peeled down on one of the right windows just so I could peek out that direction. The bird was coming my way and I still could not see him thru my little peek hole, but finally I seen him and he was strutting around, so I let him get his fan between me and him and then peeled one of the right windows down and got the shotgun out and ready for action. I watched him put on a show for a minute or so and then let the shotgun do its part. I ended up with a 20 pound boy that had a 10 ½ inch beard and both spurs ¾ inch.

Would rather be in the woods
Tonya

MY PICTURES
Gus
6 Point
6 Point

Postby Snipe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:27 pm

Great looking bird Gus.... Congrats on the score..
Its Not What You Shoot...

Its How Good You Shoot With What You Have...
Snipe

Postby deerslayer64d » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:42 am

dang that looks like a big tom !!! congrats !!!!!!!!!
deerslayer64d
8 Point
8 Point

Postby 13Point » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Nice Gus, looks like your luck is in Turkey and pig hunting. :wink:
13Point
Marshall

Postby wyote » Wed May 13, 2009 12:35 am

i knew you would get one sooner or later.. he is a dandy, congrats
I HUNT THEREFORE I AM
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/wyolion/thBig_jeep.gif[/IMG]
wyote