New Law For Your OHV

Laws & Issues Concerning Sportsmen.

New Law For Your OHV

Postby Snipe » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:39 am


AUSTIN, Texas - On Jan. 1, 2007, Texas Parks and Wildlife
Department game wardens and other authorities will begin enforcing the
requirement for all qualifying trail vehicles to have a current Texas
Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) decal properly mounted on their trail vehicles
when used at OHV venues on public land in Texas.
A Texas OHV decal costs $8 and is good through August 31 of the
year it is purchased. Many other states require similar decals. A decal
bought in Texas is also valid in other states and other states' decals
are valid in Texas.
Revenue from decal sales will be used to provide grants to help
municipalities, counties, state or federal agencies and non-profit
corporations create or improve OHV recreation areas in Texas.
Non-street legal motorcycles, all terrain vehicles (ATV) and
non-street legal four-wheel drive vehicles are required to display the
OHV decal when trail riding on public lands in Texas. The law applies to
all public lands in Texas including municipal, county, state or federal
lands where OHV recreation is approved and legal. Street legal OHV's do
not require the Texas OHV decal no matter where they are used in Texas.
Decals are not required for vehicles used on private land.
Failure to comply with this law is a Class C misdemeanor and
could result in the OHV operator being issued a citation, with possible
fines ranging from $25-to-$500.
It's been almost one year since the Texas OHV program was
created Jan. 1, 2006 to provide family-oriented OHV trail riding
opportunities which are safer and will serve as a positive force for
conservation of the natural and cultural resources of Texas.
During 2006, the Texas program began the process of creating new
OHV parks near Ozona in Crockett County, near Big Spring in Howard
County, and near Childress in Childress County. The program has also
approved grant funds to improve existing OHV venues in the Sam Houston
National Forest in Montgomery County, the Marshall Creek OHV Park in
Denton County, Buffalo Springs Lake Trails in Lubbock County, the
Canadian River OHV Area in Potter County and Buffalo Valley MX Park in
Bexar County.
The program now has a new set of Web pages with up to date
information on where to buy the required decal, where to ride off the
highway in Texas, responsible use of OHVs, resources for riders, and
frequently asked questions about the OHV program.
A Texas OHV decal can be purchased by calling the Texas Parks &
Wildlife Customer Service Center (CSC) at (512) 389-8917. Decals can
also be bought at selected parks and retail stores listed on the TPWD
Web site.
Its Not What You Shoot...

Its How Good You Shoot With What You Have...
User avatar
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:51 am
Location: Dallas Area

Postby wyote » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:48 pm

need it in wyoming as well
User avatar
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:15 am
Location: wyoming

Postby 13Point » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:29 pm

It is a option here in Ohio unless you are hunting public land when you get your car and truck plates you can pic this up also with your title.
User avatar
Posts: 1861
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby wyote » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:30 pm

its mainly for riding on forest service lands around here, and yes i got mine at the license plate place
User avatar
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:15 am
Location: wyoming

Return to Sportsman's Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest