HAIR ON HORN MOUNTS

This Is The Place You Can Share Your Homemade Ideas

HAIR ON HORN MOUNTS

Postby deerslayer64d » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:42 pm

this is how I do a hair on mount , first you need to skin the head like this Image make sure you get all the hair arounf the antler burrs , this is where I like to make my cut up to the burr Image after skinning you should have something like this Imageafter its skinned cut the skull cap with horns and drill three holes in it to attatch to the formImage I use 3/4 plywood for my formImage make sure you get ALL the meat off the skull cap and attatch it to the form you made , the screws will come out the back side of form , you can use a dremmel to cut them off smooth with the back of form Image now use machee to build your shape and let dry for a few days Image Image the skin you took off the cap need to have ALL meat removed and be preserved with dry preserve you can get this at vandykes taxidermy suply just rub the preserve on the flesh side of skin after all meat is gone !!now lay your hide over the mold you made just like you took it off the deer ,where you made your cut up to the antler burr take a neddel and heavy thread and sewit back together around the burr Image now turn your horns upside down so the hide falls away from your form like this Image at this time aply your glue to your form ( I use a tile adhesive.)try not to get on hair !! now turn your horns back over and pull hide around to the back of your form tight ,I use a air stapler to attatch hide to back of form. trim away all extra hide after its stapeled to form Image you are pritty much done at this point just let it dry a few days Image you can get a plaque to mount your horns to just screw from the back side of plaque into your form and your done Image
Last edited by deerslayer64d on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deerslayer64d
8 Point
8 Point

Postby Snipe » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:09 am

Damn DS...You are getting to good at this..Do I see you changing careers..No longer working for the man....
Its Not What You Shoot...

Its How Good You Shoot With What You Have...
Snipe

Postby deerslayer64d » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:43 am

snipe I wish that was the case ,I think next year I will start charging for this work . mostly I have ben just learning how and doing some for trade for a hunt for april ,
deerslayer64d
8 Point
8 Point

Postby wyote » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:09 pm

that looks way good...yeah a new career is in the future for sure :wink:
I HUNT THEREFORE I AM
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/wyolion/thBig_jeep.gif[/IMG]
wyote
Sheriff

Postby 13Point » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:56 pm

You got it DS....very nice, you know here in Ohio it is hard to find someone that will do a head mount for less than 300.00.
13Point
Marshall

Return to Pass It On