Tres's Place

Keep Track Of Your Trips To Your Property

Tres's Place

Postby GoTres » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:17 am

Gotta love the cut & paste. :D

From November 12th entry:
Gatesville

11/06/04. Nothing from the riverbottom brush blind on opening morning. Two does under Marty's feeder and deer moving thru the woods on the hillside, but nothing in sight. Hunted until 9:30. gave up too early

Built brush blind II early afternoon. Started hunting about 4:00. Busted by two does (?) at 4:30 from the cedar behind me and they flagged and ran. Never saw anything but their tails. Ran SW of me. Saw a high racked 8 just after sundown. Worked within 30 yds of me but I couldn't get the binocs up for the movement. Couldn't verify him as a shooter so I let him go.

11/07. Slept late, got to the blind about 7:15. One doe feeding on the corn when I walked up, south side of clearing. Nothing until about 7:45 and then 8 does, 2 more small bucks where I spooked the doe earlier. All the doe looked small but hard to tell with the sun in my eyes. Forkhorn walked in from SW and fed within 15 yds of me and fed off to the NE. My buck came from the NE and worked his way NW, cleared the mesquite about 8:30. Shot at 8:37. Ran straight to the north and crashed about 50 yds away.
GoTres
6 Point
6 Point

Postby GoTres » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:54 pm

November 2004 - Matador WMA

Left McKinney at 4:30, breakfast in Paducah @ 8:15

note: Next time, upload GPS info to computer or at least make notes on coordinates. "Stop 1" doesn't help anyone if the GPS doesn't work.

November 13th Drizzle/Rain, 45*

Stop 1 9:15 - 10:30 Circled around from E to SE and flushed a covey 200 yds S of the truck in open pasture, 15 yds N of the creekbed. 12 - 15 birds flew W across the road. To busy watching Belle to see where they went. Got one (Belle's first quail, 10:00) & never found the covey again. Crop was sunflowers & small seeds.

About 30 turkeys on the turkey food plot. (map)

Stop 2: 11:00 - 11:40 Hunted the ridge & creekbed. No birds. Belle was off the cord & responded well.

Rained out. I drove & scouted for another hour & a half, but got out of there while I still could. Not a good place for 2WD in the rain.

On to Childress to the room. Days Inn on 287. Dog friendly. I slept in the recliner while Belle unplugged the floor lamp and ate the cord.

November 14 Cloudy, spitting rain, 38*

Stop 1: 8:45 - 9:45 East side of WMA. Hunted the mesquite flats & shallow draws. Found a muley shed & lots of deer sign but no quail.

Stop 2: 10:30 - 11:30 Back to the Stop 1 of day 1. Birds crossing the road by the first food plot, flushed wild - no shot.

Lots of shooting NE of me. I worked the pasture where I saw Saturday's covey and circled around behind the treeline to work the riverbed, creek, & draws. Bumped a covey (wild flush) NE of the truck in the first pasture and got one. Belle with a nice retrieve then she quit on me. Carried her the 250 yds back to the truck and flushed 3 singles on the way. TAKE DOG BOOTS

Crop check was sunflowers and small seeds again.
GoTres
6 Point
6 Point

Postby GoTres » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:51 pm

January 2005. Cotulla

January 15 - Saturday Partly cldy to clear, 35* - 60*

7:45 - approx 10:15

8:20, Covey flushed N of round blind @ waypoint 12. Probably 20 in the covey. Bumped them again at waypoint 13 @ 8:25 and then pushed singles. I got 1, Colin got 3, lost 2 of those.

Back to the truck to move around and scout a little. We drove too long and finally settled at waypoint 14. Worked S to the edge near the bad briars and put up a covey. Pushed them for awhile & worked E & N until we came to the road about 400 yds E of truck. Good # of birds. I picked up 2, Colin 1, none lost at that location.

Went to room for lunch & wasted the afternoon. We hunted a bad spot & didn't see a bird. 5 birds total in the bag for Saturday.

Dinner at Peppers. Service was terrible, food was good. Prices weren't bad but they charged for chips, salsa, jalapenos that never got there, cheese, everything was extra. Unfortunately, it's about the best that Cotulla has to offer.

January 16th - Sunday Clear sky, 28* @ 7:30 & 50* at 1:00

Stop 1 8:00 - 9:30 Same as stop 1 from Saturday except we drove to the round blind. Much better place to park since that's where we hunted anyway. Learning things from Day 1. Put up small covey (8?) N of the truck but E of waypoint 12. They were about 30 yds inside the pasture from the treeline and we pushed them around a little. I lost 2, Colin put 2 in the bag.

Stop 2 10:00 - 11:00 Back to waypoint 14. No birds. We worked the bad briars & the hill to the S of that and W from there.

Stop 3 11:15 - 12:30 Back to the hillside E of waypoint 12. Worked N of the road. Flushed 3 but missed. Bumped the singles and moved N to another road (unpassable from the hog damage), moved 100 yds W & worked back S & then E again to where we flushed the birds.

Trip notes:

Work slowly. We flushed birds when we'd stop for whatever reason. Handy, since Belle is still to green to be a lot of help.

Edges, Edges, Edges. All of our bagged birds but 1 were juveniles and all birds were tight to the edges.

Get to the "deadfalls" in a hurry.
GoTres
6 Point
6 Point

Postby GoTres » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:25 pm

9/1 San Angelo - Got to the field at 4:30 and the tank about 4:45. Shot my first bird at 5:30 and saw very few flocks of whitewings like in years past, probably two or three that afternoon and they came by at about 7:00 - 7:15. Heavy rains in the area earlier in the week and apparently over the past months so water wasn't attracting the birds, at least west of town. The tank was almost dry but it was attracting mourning dove between 7:00 and 8:00.

9/2 AM. Waste of time but we slept late and got to the field about 10:00.

9/2 PM. Back to the field about 4:00. Mourning dove flying to the east of where we were but few over the tank. 1 flock of whitewing, again about 7:15.

9/3 AM. One member of the group went out at 7:30 and saw one bird. He hunted until 11:00. Another waste of time.

9/3 PM. At the tank at 4:15. The group hunted the tank and I stayed east of it and moved south of it from there. Birds that were shot at from the tank were flying down the road and never saw me. Also several birds flying from north and south of the tank and crossing there. Also, there was a clearing to the bridge from there.
GoTres
6 Point
6 Point

Postby GoTres » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:10 pm

Nov 5th - brushblind. 6:30 arrival, get there earlier. Spooked one deer on the way in and then saw a decent buck, probably a 9pt with good mass but he was quartering away and I couldn't get a good idea on his age. I hope he breeds early and often. Saw 3 other bucks - one forkhorn, one split tine, and a dink 6pt.

Nov 5th afternoon. In the blind at 3:15, no deer until about 5:00 and then I saw the forkhorn again and 3 other bucks. Still no does.

Nov 6th AM. Late again to the blind because of the trip for coffee. Nothing until 7:50 and then I saw the forkhorn twice, finally saw 2 does, and the dink 6pt fed in front of me for about 10 minutes.

The bucks had the thick necks, but no rutting activity. Weather was ~ 60* to ~85* and windy. Clear skies.
GoTres
6 Point
6 Point

Return to Outdoor Adventures