Dallas Man Gets World Record On Fly Rod

Fishing For Bass To Walleye

Dallas Man Gets World Record On Fly Rod

Postby Snipe » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:11 am

AUSTIN, Texas — A Dallas man's catch from earlier this year was just certified as a world record by the International Game Fish Association.

Josh Hill, 22, of Dallas caught the smallmouth buffalo on March 29 on a self-tied fly and fly rod at the Pedernales River. It was certified at 20.89 pounds, 33 inches and had a girth of 24 inches.

Hill won the water body record and state record. He received certificates for those awards from Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

"It's an interesting story how I caught the fish," Hill said. "I had just graduated from UT-Austin and had to do a thesis and did it on fly fishing and the white bass run. I found a professor there who had the record smallmouth buffalo (before this catch), Gibbs Milliken. But we actually went out fishing for the white bass for my thesis project. All of the sudden I hit something pretty big and was like, 'this is not a white bass.' I fought the fish for 45 minutes. I eventually landed it by working it into a shallow groove. After that, the professor and I went out and celebrated.
Snipe

Return to Freshwater Fishing